People often associate libraries as a place for print books, but they are so much more than that. Libraries are a hub for the community and a platform for learning, innovation and connection.
Well-designed libraries can, and often do, make a tangible difference to the level of activity at and around the library.
We are currently working on a new central library for Tauranga. Funding has been approved in the Long Term Plan 2018-2028.
The Central Library Strategy guides what is required to deliver a successful, fit-for-purpose and future proofed central library in the city centre. The guidance for this comes from Tauranga City Council strategic direction and aspirations, community engagement outcomes and international/national trends on the future of libraries. This strategy reflects the changing role of libraries and the expectation from our communities.
Tauranga Central Library is a popular destination that people love to visit. The place is constantly bustling with people and activity contributing to a vibrant city centre. People are immersing themselves in the many opportunities available to learn, innovate, inspire and connect with others.
Our purpose is to
- Be a recreation and cultural attraction that contributes to a vibrant city centre
- Be a community hub for learning, innovation and connection
- Share the stories of Tauranga: past, present and future.
The core themes will be
- Digital technologies enabling the community
- Physical spaces that are welcoming and accessible, and collections reflecting our diversity
- Community programmes supporting learning, literacy and digital skills.
Tauranga Central Library Strategy – Summary document (9kb pdf)
Tauranga Central Library Strategy – full document (939kb pdf)
Last Reviewed: 13/06/2018