We’re changing the speed limit for the entire Matapihi area to 60km/h.
We want to keep Matapihi roads safer for everyone, whether they’re driving, walking or biking. It will include the current 80km/h area as well as the remaining 70km/h area.
Why change the speed limit?
- Accidents above 60km/h are proven to escalate in severity.
- We’ve done a lot of work with Te Kura o Matapihi and others over recent years to make road conditions safer, but the speed limit remains an issue we need to address.
- The speed limit was discussed at a hui at Hungahungatoroa Marae in August 2017. Most people at that hui supported changing the speed limit for the entire Matapihi area to 60km/h.
- The Mataphi community were consulted on the proposed change in December 2017 and the majority supported the change.
- The speed limit change is planned for implementation later in 2018.
- The new speed limit will be advertised in the local paper before the change takes place.
Last Reviewed: 12/06/2018