The original Joyce Road plant (opened in 1958 and replaced in November 1997) was built to serve the Mount Maunganui Borough. Tauranga City Council built its first treatment plant at Oropi in 1957. Both plants were passed to the control of the Tauranga City Council in 1989 when the two councils were amalgamated.
Joyce Road Plant from above
The new Joyce Road treatment plant was the first in New Zealand to use microfiltration technology for public water supply. Supplied by water from a weir on the Tautau Stream the plant can produce up to 37,000 cubic metres of water a day. This is enough to supply the whole of the City during the winter when demand is lower. Daily production varies with demand and the balance between the two treatment plants.
Microfiltration allows bugs, such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium to be removed from the water supply. The process uses millions of tiny straws that are less than 1mm across. The raw water from the Tautau Stream enters the tubes and passes from the outside to the inside of the straws through tiny holes. These holes are only 2/10,000th (0.2 micron) of a millimetre across. The clean water passes out through the core of the straws and is chlorinated before being put in the treated water reservoir.
In this way the amount of chemical needed to treat the water is minimised.
Giardia and cryptosporidium
Last Reviewed: 03/03/2017