Tauranga celebrated the arrival of 2020 last night with citywide fireworks displays, as residents and holidaymakers flocked to four community events held across the city.
Mayor Tenby Powell said New Year was a busy but successful evening in one of the country’s most popular holiday destinations.
“The four community New Year’s Eve events held in Greerton, the city centre, Matua and Papamoa were a fantastic start to the new year for many families and friends.
“With almost 10,000 attendees across four locations, it was great to see so many people coming together in some of our loveliest locations to watch the sun go down, enjoy entertainment and countdown to the 9.30pm fireworks or laser light display. From the feedback I’ve received, it was a wonderful way to see out the year.”
The most popular events were at Gordon Spratt Reserve in Papamoa and Fergusson Park in Matua with around 3000 attendees at each. Around 1000 people also headed to Greerton’s New Year’s Eve at Tauranga Racecourse last night, the first year for this venue.
The events are part of Tauranga City Council’s strategy to promote a safe New Year environment and to offer communities a way for people to celebrate locally.
“We hold these events to give people an opportunity to come together in a community-minded, family-friendly environment. They’re alcohol and smoke-free and we work hard to make sure that they provide a fun night for as many people as possible,” Mayor Powell said.
“Thank you to the NZ Police, emergency services, security companies and traffic management contractors, as well as everyone else who plans for or works during one of the busiest nights in the city. We really appreciate the effort that goes on behind the scenes.”
Mayor Powell urged people to enjoy the fun summer activities coming up. “This is a great time of year, so enjoy it to the full, but be mindful as well. Please be safe out there on the beaches and on our roads.”
The summer line up for 2020 includes:
- Bay Dreams Pre-Party – 1 January, Mount Maunganui
- Bay Dreams – 2 January, Mount Maunganui
- Dinner in the Domain – 2 January, Papamoa
- Gourmet Night Markets – 3 January, Mount Maunganui
- Sticky Fingers – 3 January, Mount Maunganui
- Water polo on the Waterfront – 3 & 4 January, Tauranga
- Ziggy Alberts – 3 January, Mount Maunganui
- Little Big Markets – 4 January, Mount Maunganui
- Fat Freddy’s Drop – 4 January, Tauranga
- More FM Beach Dig – 4 January, Mount Maunganui
- Mount Farmers Market – 5 January, Mount Maunganui
- Drax Project – 5 January, Tauranga
- Tones and I – 5 January, Tauranga
- Sikh Community Street Parade – 5 January, Tauranga
- Gin Wigmore – 7 January, Mount Maunganui
- Mount Festival of Multisport – 10-11 January, Mount Maunganui
- One Love Festival – 25 to 26 January, Tauranga
- BLACKCAPS Vs India T20 – 2 February, Mount Maunganui
- Cold Chisel – 5 February, Tauranga
- Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals – 29 February, Mount Maunganui
- BLACKCAPS Vs India ODI – 11 February, Mount Maunganui
- NZ Cricket International ODIs – 2 and 11 February, Mount Maunganui
More summer events
Information on event road closures this summer