Trustees for Tauranga Art Gallery Trust
The Tauranga Art Gallery Trust owns and operates the Tauranga Art Gallery – toi Tauranga, on behalf of the residents of Tauranga and the Western Bay of Plenty.
The Gallery’s purpose is to create exceptional art experiences that engage, inspire, challenge and educate.
The Board of Trustees are responsible for developing and delivering the Gallery’s strategic goals, overseeing the management of the Gallery’s assets and resources, and for ensuring prudent financial management to ensure the long-term sustainability.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for two trustees whose skills and experience complement those of the current board. Diversity is valued, and these trustees will typically have all or most of the following:
- Strong business and financial acumen to govern and lead the strategic direction of an art gallery with assets to the value of $9.8 million.
- Communications, marketing and/or fundraising experience at a governance or strategic advisory level.
- A strong interest and understanding of visual arts - locally and nationally - and ideally, expertise in art exhibition development and curation.
- Links with the local arts community and education providers, as well as local and central government agencies associated with the visual arts.
- An appreciation of the importance of the cultural history of New Zealand and of Tauranga Moana Tangata Whenua.
If you believe you have the skills to make a difference and a real contribution to the Tauranga Art Gallery Trust Board and art and culture in our region, your interest in the position is welcomed.
As a council-controlled organisation of Tauranga City Council, the Trust has charitable status and operates autonomously but in a political environment, with a requirement to meet the expectations of both its shareholders and its community in accordance with an agreed Statement of Intent.
Meetings are held bi-monthly in Tauranga, although additional meetings may be required. A small remuneration is provided. Successful applicants will be appointed for a three year term. While applicants are not required to live in Tauranga, the ability to build and maintain relationships within the Bay of Plenty community should be demonstrated.
Expressions of interest should be addressed to:
Tauranga City Council
Private Bag 12022, Tauranga 3143
Apply online via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close 5pm, Monday 2 March 2020. All applications will be dealt with in strict confidence.
An information pack is available on request. More information is also available at www.artgallery.org.nz and www.tauranga.govt.nz.
Tauranga City Council’s Appointment of Directors to Council Organisations Policy (250kb pdf)