Devonport Road closure for new pedestrian crossings and Elizabeth Street lane closure
- Devonport Road: between Elizabeth Street and Second Avenue will be closed until Tuesday, 27 July 2021 for safety improvements. The road is closed to enable the construction of two raised pedestrian crossings on the north and south sides of the Devonport Road and First Avenue intersection. The two raised pedestrian crossings are intended to slow the speed of cars as they enter the city and create safer crossing points for pedestrians.
Access to and from First Avenue during this closure will only be via Cameron Road. During this time, right turns from First Avenue and Second Avenue will also be prevented to ensure safe driving while diversions are in place. See map below. Businesses, including accessways and off-street parking remain open on Devonport Road.
- Elizabeth Street west bound lane closure: west bound traffic lane (heading towards Takitimu Drive) between Devonport Road and Grey Street roundabout is due to close on 28 July for an extended period of time (until approximately March 2022). The lane closure is to enable streetscape works and Farmers construction to occur simultaneously. The lane (including the loading zone) between the old Coffee Club and Baywatch On Time will remain open. Businesses and footpaths are accessible during works. On-street carparking will be unavailable.
- Elizabeth Street: works to upgrade water and wastewater pipes are almost complete on Elizabeth Street between The Strand and Cameron Road with some road closures at night between 8.30pm and 6am. These works are due for completion by the end of July. Bus routes servicing Grey Street have been rerouted down Durham Street. A bus stop is serviced outside 146 Durham Street to temporarily replace the bus stop outside 96 Grey Street. Signage for bus users is in place and latest service updates can be found at www.baybus.co.nz.
Traffic lights at the Elizabeth Street / Devonport Road intersection will be temporarily removed on 27 July and replaced with a temporary roundabout until October 2021.
Full road closure of Elizabeth Street between Devonport Road and Grey Street is planned for Friday 6 August at 6am until Sunday midnight 8 August. This road closure is to enable the deconstruction of the Hawkins Tower Crane 6 at 348 Elizabeth Street.
- Lane between Elizabeth Street and First Avenue: works to lower the electrical cable and repave the First Avenue end of the laneway are underway. The First Avenue end of the lane will be closed to pedestrians until mid-August. Pedestrian access to the Elizabeth Street car park building and the public toilets will remain open.
- First Avenue and Devonport Road intersection: works to construct a raised pedestrian crossing midway down First Avenue (between the council car park building and Alimento) are underway. The road on First Avenue will remain open.
- 2 Devonport Road: please take care when walking past the demolition site in this area. There will be footpath detours and some car park closures over the next few months.
- Temporary carpark entrance closure: Tauranga City Council carpark building entrance / exit on First Avenue will be closed 6am to 5pm tomorrow and 6am Monday 26 July until 5pm Friday 30 July for stormwater installations. Vehicles will be able to enter / exit the carpark from the Elizabeth Street entrance. Signage will be set up on Cameron Road and in / around the carpark advising of the First Ave closure.
- 103 4th Avenue: there will be occasional lane closures in place for ongoing construction.
Beyond the city centre
- Matapihi rail crossing: safety improvement work continues at the rail crossing section of Matapihi Road. A reduced temporary speed limit is in place, please drive carefully through the work site. Weather permitting, works are expected to be completed early August 2021.
- 359 Cameron Road: there will be occasional lane closures in place for ongoing construction.
- Te Okuroa Drive, Papamoa: work on an extension of new road from the Stevenson Road roundabout will begin this week. The work is programmed to be completed by the end of October 2021.
- Maranui Street/Oceanbeach Road: truck movements in and out of a construction site, please travel with caution around this area.
- Adams Avenue/Marine Parade: occasional road closures over the next few months where a crane is working on the Oceanside Towers refurbishment. Car parking spaces outside the cafes will be limited during weekdays.
Check out the Weekly bulletin for more updates from around Council for the week 22 July 2021