The Cameron Road Joint Venture (CRJV) continues to replace the sewer pipes running from Harington Street to Elizabeth Street as part of stage one of the city centre wastewater upgrades. The area of Cameron Road between Wharf Street and Harington Street is closed to south-bound traffic and Wharf Street is left out only.
Works will be underway at the intersection of Cameron Road and Elizabeth Street to carry out the wastewater upgrades from Friday 8 October at 6pm until Monday 11 October at 6am (weather dependent). Temporary traffic management, including detours, will be in place during this time:
Full closure of intersection:
- Friday 8 October at 6pm until Saturday 9 October at 10am
- Sunday 10 October at 6pm until Monday 11 October at 6am
Partial opening of Intersection - for the north and south bound traffic lanes along Cameron Road, there will be no through traffic on Elizabeth Street crossing over Cameron Road:
- Saturday 9 October at 10am until Sunday 10 October at 6pm
Work continues on the eastern side of Cameron Road between Sixth and Ninth Avenues, and Twelfth and Thirteenth Avenues. Vehicle traffic will be reduced to one lane on the eastern side in the areas where work is taking place. Temporary traffic management will be in place, however access for all residents, businesses and retail will be maintained. It is expected this work will take up to three months to complete.
Visit city centre road closures for more information.
Elizabeth Street upgrade
- Elizabeth Street west bound lane closure: west bound traffic lane (heading towards Takitimu Drive) between Devonport Road and Grey Street roundabout is closed for an extended period of time (until approximately March 2022). The lane closure is to enable streetscape works and Farmers construction to occur simultaneously. The lane (including the loading zone) between the old Coffee Club and Baywatch On Time will remain open. Businesses and footpaths are accessible during works. On-street carparking will be unavailable. A two-week road closure on Elizabeth Street is anticipated in the coming weeks to carry out work on a stormwater pipe in the road reserve.
- Elizabeth Street: works to upgrade water and wastewater pipes are almost complete on Elizabeth Street between The Strand and Cameron Road with some road closures at night between 8.30pm and 6am. These works are due for completion by early October. Bus routes servicing Grey Street have been rerouted down Durham Street. A bus stop is serviced outside 146 Durham Street to temporarily replace the bus stop outside 96 Grey Street. Signage for bus users is in place and latest service updates can be found at www.baybus.co.nz. Traffic lights at the Elizabeth Street/Devonport Road intersection have been temporarily replaced with a temporary roundabout until October 2021.
- Mareanui Lane between Elizabeth Street and First Avenue: works upgrade the the First Avenue end of the Mareanui laneway are underway. The First Avenue end of the lane will be closed to pedestrians for the next few months. Pedestrian access to the Elizabeth Street car park building and the public toilets will remain open.
- Grey Street: a road closure of the southern end of Grey Street (next to the roundabout on Elizabeth Street) is anticipated in October to complete the kerb buildouts and the pedestrian crossing.
- Devonport Road: between Elizabeth Street and First Avenue will be closed on Saturday 2 October between 5pm and midnight to enable a crane to access the Farmers site.
- First Avenue and Devonport Road: works to construct pedestrian crossings along First Avenue, including Devonport Road, are underway. The road on First Avenue and Devonport Road will remain open during the day. There will be some night closures to enable light pole installation and road and footpath reinstatement.
- 2 Devonport Road: please take care when walking past the demolition site in this area. There will be footpath detours and some car park closures over the next few months.
Beyond the city centre
- Te Okuroa Drive, Papamoa: work on an extension of new road from the Stevenson Road roundabout will begin this week. The work is programmed to be completed by the end of October 2021.
For more information check out our Weekly bulletin.