Working toward making it safe and easy as possible for people to move around the city, we are constructing a new car parking building and bicycle hub in Harington Street.
Coming in early 2020:
- 250 bike parks
- 550 car parks
- 53 motorbike parks
- Electric charging points for cars and e-bikes
- Shower and locker facilities for people who ride bikes
Artist impression of Harington Street parking building
Work started Tuesday, 19 June 2018, towards constructing a new car parking building and bicycle hub on the Harington Street off-street car park site.
There are some road closures associated with this work. We will maintain access to the Tauranga Library, Kingsview Resort, Harrington House and the CAB carparks throughout the construction.
- A section of Hamilton Street between Durham Street and Willow Street will be closed from Thursday, 19 July.
- A section of Harington Street between Durham Street and Willow Street was closed on 19 June and will remain closed for the duration of the construction project.
A development of this size requires a lot of foundation work and strengthening. There will be disruption and noise during the construction, which is necessary to complete the project and realise the longer term benefits for the future of our city.
Construction activity update
- From 20 July 2018, work will start to drive steel sheet piles into the ground around the construction site. In some places these temporary support structures will reach 5m below sea level.
- The role of these supports is to protect Hamilton and Harington Streets and the Kingsview and Harrington House from subsidence.
- This phase of work will be one of the more disruptive parts of the build. As much as possible the supports will be pushed into the ground and then vibrated in, rather than being banged in, to help minimise noise. Neighbours can expect to hear a low droning noise and feel the ground vibrating.
- Works will take place during the hours of 7.30am and 6pm from Monday to Saturday. We expect this phase of the project to take around 20 days in total.
Last Reviewed: 20/07/2018