Our city centre is transforming into a vibrant and busy central hub. There is lots of development planned and underway to make our city centre ‘fit for the future’, with the infrastructure to function as the commercial, civic and cultural heart of the region.
This map below identifies the major developments, which are currently planned or underway in our city centre.
City centre transformation map (106kb pdf)
This level of growth means that over the next few years, people are likely to experience disruption with a number of construction sites in action.
With the Heart of the City programme well underway, and a number of other organisations involved in the transformation of the city centre, council has introduced a response plan to work together with city centre partners and address the challenges ahead in a collaborative way.
What’s the aim?
We want this response plan to minimise disruption, contributing to a safe, vibrant and successful city centre.
- transformation partners are well-informed, collaborative and contributing to the city centre response
- workers, residents and visitors are aware of the impacts of the city centre transformation and participating in the response
- Tauranga city centre is inviting and easy to get around for everyone
- residents of Tauranga are aware that the city centre transformation is underway and what the benefits will be.
What’s the focus?
Following feedback from people across the city, we have been able to prioritise four key response areas:
- Joined-up approach to the city’s development
- Access (getting people to and around the city)
- Activation (things that will bring people to the city)
Transformation partners working together
Transformation partners include business owners (including retailers), developers/contractors, Mainstreet/Downtown Tauranga, council staff, elected members and the City Centre Action Group.
We are working together by collaborating online, keeping in regular contact on the actions on a weekly basis. We meet in person every two months.
A living document – The Response Plan
In collaboration with transformation partners, we have developed the Response Plan document that outlines our key areas of focus and the actions and priorities. This document is a 'living document' as it will continue to be updated and amended to adapt to the changing timeframes and priorities for the city centre.
Tauranga City Centre Response Plan (2mb pdf)