We’re making it safer and easier for people to walk, bike and catch the bus along Domain Road. Over a period of three years we’ll also be resurfacing the full length of the road to better cope with the number of vehicles, along with new landscaping.
More than 10,000 vehicles travel along Domain Road every day. It’s a key link for residential areas, schools, retail shopping and the state highway, so over a period of three years we’ll be completely replacing the road surface. We also want to improve safety and make it easier for people who walk and bike through each of the intersections.
Domain Road map and project timing (991kb pdf)
Road works of this scale are always disruptive. The contractor will programme the work to ensure as little disruption, delay or inconvenience as possible for people, without compromising safety. We ask that during the works, you assist by planning your journey, perhaps adjusting your travel times and choosing an alternative route to limit the disruption to yourself and along Domain Road.
The upgrade will accommodate for future developments and traffic demand. We’re doing the upgrade in three stages.
Stage 1 – February 2019 to July 2019
Update 23 September: Due to wet weather these works are still ongoing while we have started working on Stage 2.
Works between Papamoa Beach Road and Gravatt Road, including:
- Papamoa Beach Road roundabout improvements
- Road reconstruction
- Wairakei culverts installation
- Underground services relocation, drainage and concrete works
Stage 2 – August 2019 to June 2020
Works between Gravatt Road and The Gardens Drive, including:
- Road widening and reconstruction, including a >2.5m wide shared path on both sides
- Power, gas and telecommunication relocation (most services will go underground)
- Watermain and stormwater upgrades
- New signalised pedestrian/cyclist crossing
- Construction of shared footpath/cycleway
- Doncaster Drive intersection upgrade, including traffic lights
- Landscaping and tree planting
Update 22 October: Between Tuesday 29 October and Friday 6 December we are working on the road reconstruction between Gravatt Road and Doncaster Drive. This will require periods with Stop/Go traffic management as well as a temporary closure of the southbound lane on this specific section of Domain Road.
For more information, please refer to our media release that includes a map with the recommended detour.
Stage 3 – July 2020 to April 2021
Note: These planned works are currently on hold whilst potential developments of rural blocks are assessed.
Works between The Gardens Drive and Tara Road, including:
- Road reconstruction, including a >2.5m wide shared path on both sides
- Completion of landscaping and tree planting
Please note this programme is indicative.
Domain road upgrade plans (900kb pdf)
Last Reviewed: 23/10/2019