We’re making it safer and easier for people to walk, bike and catch the bus along Domain Road. We’re also resurfacing the full length of the road to better cope with the number of vehicles.
More than 10,000 vehicles travel along Domain Road every day. It’s a key link for residential areas, schools, retail shopping and the state highway, so over a period of three years we’ll be completely replacing the road surface. We also want to improve safety and make it easier for people who walk and bike through each of the intersections.
Domain Road map and project timing (162kb pdf)
Road works of this scale are always disruptive. The contractor will programme the work to ensure as little disruption, delay or inconvenience as possible for people, without compromising safety. We ask that during the works, you assist by planning your journey, perhaps adjusting your travel times and choosing an alternative route to limit the disruption to yourself and along Domain Road.
The upgrade will accommodate for future developments and traffic demand. We’re doing the upgrade in three stages.
Stage 1 – Papamoa Beach Road to Gravatt Road - complete
This stage of works started in February 2019 and was completed in March 2020. The work included:
- Papamoa Beach Road roundabout improvements
- Road reconstruction
- Wairakei culverts installation
- Underground services relocation, drainage and concrete works
- Improved pedestrian and cycling links and streetlighting
Stage 2 – Gravatt Road to The Gardens Drive
This stage of works, which started in August 2019, is partially complete between Gravatt Road and Doncaster Drive. Work has paused for the 2020 winter and will resume in the summer months. The work, between Gravatt Road and The Gardens Drive, includes:
- Road widening and reconstruction, including a >2.5m wide shared path on both sides
- Power, gas and telecommunication relocation (most services will go underground)
- Watermain and stormwater upgrades
- New signalised pedestrian/cyclist crossing
- Construction of shared footpath/cycleway
- Doncaster Drive intersection upgrade, including traffic lights
- Landscaping and tree planting
Stage 3 – The Gardens Drive to Tara Road
Timing is still being confirmed for this stage of work. The project includes:
- Widening and preloading for future road improvements
- Road reconstruction, including a >2.5m wide shared path on both sides
- Completion of landscaping and tree planting
Domain road upgrade plans (900kb pdf)
Last Reviewed: 25/08/2020