We’re making it safer and easier for people to walk, bike and catch the bus along Domain Road. Over the next three years we’ll also be resurfacing the full length of the road to better cope with the number of vehicles, along with new landscaping.
More than 10,000 vehicles travel along Domain Road every day. It’s a key link for residential areas, schools, retail shopping and the state highway, so over the next three years we’ll be completely replacing the road surface. We also want improve safety and make it easier for people who walk and bike through each of the intersections.
Domain Road map and project timing (140kb pdf)
Construction for Stage One will begin on 12 February 2019 for the Domain Road safety upgrades. Dates for work (weather permitting) are as follows:
- Underground services relocation, drainage and concrete works - 12 February 2019
- Wairakei Stream Culverts - 19 February 2019
- Papamoa Beach Road to Gravatt Road pavement - 23 March 2019
Road works of this scale are always disruptive. The contractor will programme the work to ensure as little disruption, delay or inconvenience as possible for people, without compromising safety. We ask that during the works, you assist by planning your journey, perhaps adjusting your travel times and choosing an alternative route to limit the disruption to yourself and along Domain Road.
The upgrade will accommodate for future developments and traffic demand. We’re doing the upgrade in three stages.
Stage 1 – February 2019 to June 2019
Road reconstruction between Papamoa Beach Road and Gravatt Road, including:
- Papamoa Beach Road roundabout improvements
- Road reconstruction
- Wairakei culverts installation
Stage 2 – July 2019 to June 2020
Road widening and reconstruction between Gravatt Road and The Gardens Drive, including:
- Road widening and reconstruction
- Power, gas and telecommunication relocation
- Watermain and stormwater upgrades
- New signalised pedestrian/cyclist crossing
- Construction of shared footpath/cycleway
- Doncaster Drive intersection upgrade, including traffic lights
- Landscaping and tree planting
Stage 3 – July 2020 to April 2021
Road reconstruction between The Gardens Drive and Tara Road, including:
- Road reconstruction
- Completion of landscaping and tree planting
Please note this programme is indicative.
Domain road upgrade plans (900kb pdf)
Last Reviewed: 07/02/2019