We’re making it safer and easier for people to walk, bike and catch the bus along Domain Road. Over the next three years we’ll also be resurfacing the full length of the road to better cope with the number of vehicles, along with new landscaping.
More than 10,000 vehicles travel along Domain Road every day. It’s a key link for residential areas, schools, retail shopping and the state highway, so over the next three years we’ll be completely replacing the road surface. We also want improve safety and make it easier for people who walk and bike through each of the intersections.
Domain Road map and project timing (140kb pdf)
The upgrade will accommodate for future developments and traffic demand. We’re doing the upgrade in three stages.
Stage 1 – February 2019 to June 2019
- road reserve will be prepared for widening between Tara Road and The Gardens Drive
- new stormwater culverts will be added to the Wairakei drain
- utility services (power, gas, telecom) will be relocated.
Stage 2 – July 2019 to June 2020
- the carriageway between Gravatt Road and The Gardens Drive will be reconstructed (including drainage)
- new shared footpath/cycleway constructed along Domain Road
- new traffic lights will be installed at Doncaster Drive intersection, with new streetlight poles and landscaping
- a new signalised pedestrian/cyclist crossing will be installed by the Wairakei drain to provide safer crossing of Domain Road.
Stage 3 – July 2020 to June 2021
- remaining construction material will be removed
- the road between between Gravatt Road and Papamoa Beach Road will be reconstructed
- the road north of Tara Road will be reconstructed
- all landscaping and tree planting completed.
Please note this programme is indicative.
Road works of this scale are always disruptive. The contractor will programme the work to ensure as little disruption, delay or inconvenience as possible for you or your business, without compromising safety.
There won’t be any work planned for between the hours of 6pm and 7am Monday to Saturday, or on Sundays or public holidays.
We ask that during the works, you assist by planning your journey, perhaps adjusting your travel times and choosing an alternative route to limit the disruption to yourself and along Domain Road.
Last Reviewed: 10/10/2018