We’re making it safer and easier for people to walk, bike and catch the bus along Domain Road. We’ll also be resurfacing the full length of the road to better cope with the number of vehicles, along with new landscaping.
More than 10,000 vehicles travel along Domain Road every day. It’s a key link for residential areas, schools, retail shopping and the state highway, so over a period of three years we’ll be completely replacing the road surface. We also want to improve safety and make it easier for people who walk and bike through each of the intersections.
Domain Road map and project timing (162kb pdf)
Road works of this scale are always disruptive. The contractor will programme the work to ensure as little disruption, delay or inconvenience as possible for people, without compromising safety. We ask that during the works, you assist by planning your journey, perhaps adjusting your travel times and choosing an alternative route to limit the disruption to yourself and along Domain Road.
The upgrade will accommodate for future developments and traffic demand. We’re doing the upgrade in three stages.
Stage 1 – February 2019 to March 2020
This stage of works between Papamoa Beach Road and Gravatt Road includes:
- Papamoa Beach Road roundabout improvements
- Road reconstruction
- Wairakei culverts installation
- Underground services relocation, drainage and concrete works
- Improved pedestrian and cycling links and streelighting
Stage 2 – August 2019 to June 2020
This stage of works between Gravatt Road and The Gardens Drive includes:
- Road widening and reconstruction, including a >2.5m wide shared path on both sides
- Power, gas and telecommunication relocation (most services will go underground)
- Watermain and stormwater upgrades
- New signalised pedestrian/cyclist crossing
- Construction of shared footpath/cycleway
- Doncaster Drive intersection upgrade, including traffic lights
- Landscaping and tree planting
Impact of works for residents and people travelling through the area:
In February 2020 work will commence at the Domain/Doncaster intersection with drainage and underground services relocation. This will be followed by new kerbing and footpaths, new pavement, resurfacing and installation of traffic signals. Some of these activities are planned to be carried out at night to reduce inconvenience to road users. We will endeavour to keep disruption to a minimum and we apologise for the inconvenience during this important transport improvement project.
Stage 3 – July 2020 to June 2022
This stage of works between The Gardens Drive and Tara Road includes:
October 2020 to October 2021
- Widening and preloading for future road improvements
October 2021 to June 2022
- Road reconstruction, including a >2.5m wide shared path on both sides
- Completion of landscaping and tree planting
Please note this programme is indicative.
Domain road upgrade plans (900kb pdf)
Last Reviewed: 03/02/2020