Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence

Water Leaks

There is a water leak on my property. Who is responsible for fixing it?

You are responsible for all of the water pipes on your own property.  If you have a water leak on your property then you are responsible for it.

Where there are any concerns about the responsibility of repairs, then Council will always meet with you to assess the layout and hear your concerns

If a water meter is faulty then the Tauranga City Council will fix or replace the meter.

Finding leaks around the home

Point of supply

Tauranga City Council is responsible for all of the water pipes that lead up to your water meter. (We call this the ‘point of supply.’) We are not responsible for any of the pipes that are on private property.

Your responsibility starts on your property’s side of the water meter, even if the meter is a small distance outside your boundary. If there is a problem with the water pipe on your property’s side of the water meter then it is up to you to fix it.

Click to enlarge Image

Who is responsible for water meters on shared properties (i.e. units or flats)?

It is possible that there are two meters that you need to be aware of.

There is normally a meter at the roadside boundary (known as the parent meter). This measures all of the water entering the property.

If your house is on a shared driveway or if you live in a block of flats then there is probably an additional water meter for each dwelling. These are known as child meters.

Council is responsible for all of the meters. We are not responsible for the pipes that connect these meters – that pipe work is on private property.

If you are in a shared situation and a leak is discovered, then it is up to you as the property owner/s to resolve. Property owners need to come to their own agreement on arrangement for repairs and payment of costs for private pipe work.

Click to enlarge Image

Water bills

Council reads both the parent and the child meters. The total reading on the child meters should equal the reading of the parent meter. If this is not the case then the first thing we do is to check the meters to make sure they are not faulty. If the meters are not at fault there is probably an undetected internal leak. If an internal leak is suspected then it will need to be identified and repaired.

Last Reviewed: 23/02/2017