Tauranga provides one of the most beautiful and diverse backdrops for filming purposes.
Depending on the scale of your project, filming in the city’s public open spaces might require prior approval. This includes filming in parks, reserves (including Mauao and McLaren Falls park), roads, streets and footpaths and applies for general as well as commercial filming.
How long does it take to get approval
Low impact filming
A minimum of one week notice is required if your project includes:
- handheld camera/sound equipment
- vehicles associated with the filming parked legally at all times
- no trucks/trailers
- no structures
- no filming on roads
- no disruption to the public, businesses or residents
Medium to high impact filming
Filming that does not fall in to the above category requires further notice – please contact the city events team directly to discuss your filming requirements.
Filming requiring road closures requires a minimum of 4 weeks’ notice.
Four steps to get approval
- Check if your project takes place within Tauranga’s city boundaries (322kb pdf)
- Fill out the application form (639kb pdf)
- Include a copy of your Public Liability Insurance and a risk control plan
- Email the completed application form to council’s city events team email@example.com
An event facilitator will be in touch if any other supporting documentation is required. On your behalf, we will liaise with the various asset managers within council to obtain approval of filming on the proposed sites. Following this, we will issue the approval letter.
Last Reviewed: 07/06/2018