× Search

Fruit and vege shops

You can sell fruit and vegetables grown on your own property, at markets and events without needing to operate under a food control plan or a national programme.

If you wish to sell your produce from the roadside, you will need a mobile shop licence. People who purchase fruit and vegetables from growers and wholesalers to then on-sell it need to register a food control plan or national programme. 

The sale of food at markets and other venues is monitored on a regular basis and people who do not comply with the food safety rules and regulations may face legal action.

Businesses established prior to 1 March 2016 will eventually need to transition to the new Food Act 2014.  

Last Reviewed: 19/10/2017

Related Information

MPI transition timetable



Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand  |  Terms of use  |  Site map

Back To Top