The major event fund is designed to attract, grow and enhance major events that add to the vibrancy and economic growth of the city.
Major events will showcase Tauranga as a premiere event destination and an exciting place to live, work, play and visit.
In order to be eligible to receive financial support from the major event fund, your event must:
- demonstrate a growth in regional GDP (gross domestic product)
- attract significant visitation and tourism
- generate positive national and/or international exposure for Tauranga
- create leverage and legacy opportunities for the city.
Additional eligibility considerations:
- Events that occur during the off-peak seasons of August 2018 to October 2018 and April 2019 to June 2019 are more likely to receive funding from the major event fund
- Events that are predominantly commercial ventures are less likely to receive support from the major event fund. When applying for funding, applicants will be required to submit a high-level event budget to demonstrate their projected financial position.
We are interested in supporting major events that:
- are one-off events that present an opportunity to deliver substantial social and economic benefits to Tauranga
- are new events that require seed funding but have significant long-term growth potential for Tauranga.
We will prioritise funding for events that strongly align with our event funding values and priorities. We suggest that you thoroughly review these before submitting an application as all events will be measured against these overarching principles. Please note that your event does not need to deliver on all of our funding priorities in order to be considered for support.
Funding will not be granted to events that:
- don’t champion our event funding values or priorities
- require funding on an ongoing basis for business-as-usual operations
- have been completed or started prior to the funding being allocated
- are primarily religious, political or have a primary fundraising purpose
- support general salaries, rents or other overhead costs except as a proportion of the total event costs
- require debt servicing assistance or have outstanding debt with Tauranga City Council
- are private functions, lunches, dinners etc.
- are for research, feasibility studies or evaluations
- have breached previous funding agreements with Tauranga City Council, including post-event reporting requirements and where no commitment has been made to rectify this
- occur outside of Tauranga City boundaries
- are not a legal entity/organisation. Funding will not be granted to individuals.
How to apply
The major event fund is a contestable fund of $250,000 (for the period 30 July 2018 to 30 June 2019), with no minimum or maximum funding allocation per application. We are happy to consider applications for events that occur after 30 June 2019, in line with the corresponding funding allocation for that particular financial year.
A five-member panel will consider major event fund applications four times a year.
|before 31 October 2018 - applications closed
||late November 2018
|from 1 November 2018 to 31 January 2019 - applications closed
||late March 2019
|from 1 February 2019 to 30 April 2019 at 5pm
||late June 2019
|from 1 May 2019 to 30 June 2019 at 5pm
||late September 2019
Funding applications must be submitted at least three months before the start of the event. We encourage event organisers to submit their applications in advance of that timeframe to provide the best possible chance at receiving funding, particularly if the request is for a significant level of financial support.
There is no limit to the amount of times an event organiser can apply to fund a new event. If you have already received funding from council for an event, you must submit a post-event evaluation report before another application will be considered.
When the major event fund allocation is exhausted, this webpage will be updated accordingly.
If you believe that your major event is a great fit with this fund and embodies our event funding values and priorities, we want to hear from you.
Please download the application form and save it to a local file (e.g. your desktop) before you fill it in.
Major event fund application form (127kb doc)
Make sure you have all relevant event details including your event budget readily available to upload.
Submit your completed application form below.
Submit your application online
If your application is successful, you will be required to enter into a contractual relationship with us to formalise our funding support and associated event deliverables. e.g. verbal and/or written acknowledgement, complimentary tickets to the event (if applicable) etc.
If your event is held on public open space, you will likely be required to work with our event facilitation team for an event approval.
If your application is unsuccessful you will be advised of the outcome, along with reasoning why this decision was made.
Last Reviewed: 14/02/2019