Fund update: Please note that all four funds have been closed for the 2019/2020 financial year (events occurring between 1 July 2019 – 30 June 2020). We are continuing to accept applications for events that occur from 1 July 2020 onwards and encourage event organisers to submit their applications early to provide the best possible chance at receiving funding support.
For alternative funding options in the region check out our great list of alternate funding groups.
The major event fund is designed to attract, grow and enhance major events that add to the vibrancy and economic growth of the city.
Major events will showcase Tauranga as a premiere event destination and an exciting place to live, work, play and visit.
In order to be eligible to receive financial support from the major event fund, your event must:
Additional eligibility considerations:
- Events that occur during the off-peak seasons of April to October are more likely to receive funding from the major event fund
- Events that are predominantly commercial ventures, or are forecasting a modest or significant profit, are less likely to receive support from the major event fund. When applying for funding, applicants will be required to submit a high-level event budget to demonstrate their projected financial position.
- During funding deliberations consideration will be given to the balance of event activity across our portfolio of funded events, to ensure that residents can enjoy a wide range of sporting, performing arts, cultural events and more.
We are particularly interested in supporting major events that:
- are one-off events that present an opportunity to deliver substantial social and economic benefits to Tauranga
- are new events that require seed funding but have significant long-term growth potential for Tauranga.
We will prioritise funding for events that strongly align with our event funding values and priorities. We suggest that you thoroughly review these before submitting an application as all events will be measured against these overarching principles. Please note that your event does not need to deliver on all of our funding priorities in order to be considered for support.
Funding will not be granted to events that:
- don’t champion our event funding values or priorities
- request more than 50% of the event’s total event expenses
- require funding on an ongoing basis for business-as-usual operations (e.g. not specifically event related)
- have been completed or started prior to the funding being allocated
- are primarily religious, political or have a primary fundraising purpose
- support general salaries, rents or other overhead costs except as a proportion of the total event costs
- require debt servicing assistance or have outstanding debt with Tauranga City Council
- are private functions, lunches, dinners, meetings, conventions etc. ‘Private’ is defined as any event where the general public aren’t able to attend or purchase tickets
- are for research, feasibility studies or evaluations
- have breached previous funding agreements with Tauranga City Council, including post-event reporting requirements and where no commitment has been made to rectify this
- occur outside of Tauranga City boundaries
- are not a legal entity/organisation. Funding will not be granted to individuals
- are protests.
How to apply
The major event fund is a contestable fund* of:
- $350,000 for events occurring between 1 July 2019 and 30 June 2020
- $375,000 for events occurring between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021
The major event fund has a maximum grant of $100,000 per event. In exceptional circumstances, increased funding can be considered at the discretion of Council. There is no minimum funding limit.
A five-member panel will consider major event fund applications twice a year.
||By 31 December 2019
||By 14 April 2020
||Between 1 January 2020 and 30 June 2020
||By 14 October 2020
Please note that any funding granted will be released in the financial year that the event occurs.
Funding applications must be submitted at least three months before the start of the event. We encourage event organisers to submit their applications in advance of that timeframe to provide the best possible chance at receiving funding, particularly if the request is for a significant level of financial support.
If you have already received funding from council for an event, you must submit a post-event evaluation report before another application will be considered.
Only one application per event will be considered. Please note that funding can only be paid out in the financial year that the event occurs, not in advance of that year.
When the major event fund allocation is exhausted, this webpage will be updated accordingly.
*Please note that portions of these funds may be redistributed between the four funding streams from time to time, to manage current and/or future event investment demands.
If you believe that your major event is a great fit with this fund and embodies our event funding values and priorities, we want to hear from you.
Please download the application form.
Major event fund application form (326kb doc)
Make sure you have all relevant event details including your event budget readily available to upload.
Submit your completed application form below.
Submit your application online
If your application is successful, you will be required to enter into a contractual relationship with us to formalise our funding support and associated event deliverables. e.g. verbal and/or written acknowledgement, complimentary tickets to the event (if applicable) etc.
If your event is held on public open space, you will likely be required to work with our event facilitation team for an event approval.
If your application is unsuccessful you will be advised of the outcome, along with reasoning why this decision was made.
Last Reviewed: 20/12/2019