The major event fund is designed to attract, grow and enhance major events that add to the vibrancy and economic growth of the city.
Applications to the major event fund are now being administered via our new online application service, powered by SmartyGrants. Please ensure you make your application via this system rather than our previous online form.
Major events will showcase Tauranga as a premier event destination and an exciting place to live, work, play and visit.
The events we fund must
- demonstrate a significant growth in regional GDP (gross domestic product)
- attract significant visitation and tourism
- generate positive national and/or international exposure for Tauranga
- create leverage and legacy opportunities for the city
- strongly align with our event funding values and priorities.
We prioritise events that
- are one-off events that present an opportunity to deliver substantial social and economic benefits to Tauranga
- are new events that require seed funding but have significant long-term growth potential for Tauranga
- occur during the off-peak seasons of April to October.
Key fund information
The maximum grant is $100,000 +GST per event year and there is no minimum funding level.
$375,000 +GST for events occurring between 1 July 2023 and 30 June 2024. When the fund allocation is exhausted we will update this webpage.
Please note that portions of these funds may be redistributed between the four funds from time to time, to manage current and/or future event investment demands.
Applications are evaluated twice a year, so the best approach is to apply early. You can only apply once per event.
|Round 1 - financial year 2023/2024
||Between 1 July and 31 December 2023
||By Mid-April 2024
|Round 2 - financial year 2023/2024
||Between 1 January and 30 June 2024
||By Mid October 2024
Yes, we will consider multi-year support for significant new events that require seed funding.
No, you don’t need to provide quotes with your application, however you will need to provide a detailed budget which you’ll upload as a secondary document.
In your application you will be asked to describe how your event will create leverage and/or legacy opportunities for Tauranga. If you need assistance with writing this plan, please consult the document below.
Developing a leverage and legacy plan (255kb pdf)
An Event Funding Panel comprised of the General Manager: Community Services, Manager: Venues & Events and Council subject matter expert(s) will consider your application. A copy of the Terms of Reference for this panel can be provided on request.
We use cost benefit analysis (CBA) to evaluate every application submitted. The main benefit of CBA is that it treats market and non-market costs and benefits equally, which means that social outcomes are given the same status as economic outcomes in the evaluation process (i.e. allowing a community festival to be evaluated in the same way as a major sports event). This is highly attractive for government agencies like our own, wanting to make investment decisions that are consistent, accurate and transparent.
If your application is successful, you will enter into a funding agreement with us to formalise our funding support, associated event deliverables and benefits for council (e.g. operational planning deadlines, event tickets etc.). Receipt of funding will be dependent on meeting the key performance indicators stated within the funding agreement.
If your event is held on public open space, you will also likely be required to work with our event facilitation team for an event approval. Read our resources to assist you with running an event on public open spaces.
If your application is unsuccessful you will be advised of the outcome, along with reasoning why this decision was made.
In the financial year that the event occurs, our year runs from 1 July through to 30 June of the following year.
If you have already received funding from us for an event, you must submit a post-event evaluation report (to the satisfaction of Event Development staff) before another application will be considered.
Where your event is cancelled and the financial position of your event has been negatively affected by that cancellation, you may submit a written request to us to retain all or part of your event grant. You will need to address the following matters in your request to us.
- The reason for the event cancellation (with supporting evidence).
- The date the decision was made to cancel the event and who made that decision.
- Whether you have event insurance and how this impacts your financial situation.
- Whether you have investigated alternative ways for proceeding with the event (e.g. postponement, operational changes, online format etc).
- How the event has been financially impacted by the cancellation. Please submit a profit and loss statement and detail what steps have been taken to mitigate costs.
- What assistance (if any) other funding partners and sponsors are providing to support the cancellation of your event.
- Whether you are seeking to retain all or part of your event grant. Please specify the amount you would like to retain.
Requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis and all decisions will be at our sole discretion. Please allow a minimum 10 business day turn around for decisions.
For more information, or to submit your request, please email the Event Development team on: email@example.com
How to apply
Applications to the major event fund are now being administered through our new online application service, powered by SmartyGrants. Please use the link below to find out more about this process and begin drafting your application.
Apply to the Major Event Fund