You need to be enrolled with the Electoral Commission to vote in the 2024 local government election.
Tauranga City Council will be holding an election on Saturday 20 July 2024.
Voting is open for everyone 18-years of age or over. You also need to:
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- have lived in New Zealand, continuously, at any time for one year or more
- have lived at your current address for more than one month.
You might also be eligible to vote if you are:
- a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll
- a resident outside of Tauranga who has been nominated by a firm, company, corporation, or society paying rates on a property in Tauranga.
You can enrol, check or update your details below.
Ratepayer enrolment form (77kb pdf)
Enrol, check or update your details here
Māori Electoral Option
Māori can choose which electoral roll they want to be on, either the Māori roll or general roll. You can also choose to change your roll type at any time, except in the three months before a local or general election. Visit our page with more information on the Māori roll and Māori ward below.
Information about the Māori ward
How to vote: Single Transferable Vote system
We will use the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system for the 2024 local government election.
This is the same system we used in the 2019 local election.
In an STV election, you rank your preferred candidates 1, 2, 3, 4 or as many or as few as you wish instead of putting a tick beside their name.
Drop your completed voting form in the prepaid envelope at your nearest post box or Tauranga City Council drop off point. We’ll share a handy list of these locations with you when voting opens.
If you want to learn more about the STV system, take a look at:
The electoral rolls can be viewed at:
- Tauranga City Council's service centre He Puna Manawa at 21 Devonport Road
- Tauranga public libraries