Kulim Park is a beautiful north facing park at the edge of the harbour in Ōtūmoetai. It is treasured by the local community and has wonderful views across the harbour to Rangiwaea, Matakana Island and Mauao.
Kulim Park was first established in 1950 when Bureta Farm was subdivided for residential housing. The owners of the farm, Walter Rushton and brothers George and John Sickling, gifted about one hectare at the north-west corner of the farm “for children’s recreation.”
We recently made some changes to make Kulim Park even better, including a new playground, basketball court, new parking layout and shared pathway. With design input from the local community, construction on these changes began in September 2021 and were completed in May 2022.
Shade sails will be installed over the toddler playground at a future date. We will also be adding some signage telling the cultural stories of the area.
Check out the video below of the family fun day we held in May to celebrate the opening.
Features of the park include
- Two playgrounds, including a toddler playground, with flying fox, swings, slides and accessible play equipment
- 3x3 basketball court
- Barbecues, accessible picnic tables, seating, drinking foundation, public toilets and bike stands
- Petanque court
- Active aging gym
- Shared pathway (3m-wide) for walking and cycling which connects Fergusson Park to the city centre
- Upgraded carparking and new coastal planting
- Safety improvements, including a shortened road to allow people to walk safely from the playground to the water’s edge.