× Search

Tauranga has a sprinkler and irrigation system ban in place 


Certificate for public use

A certificate for public use is issued when we are satisfied the premises are safe for members of the public to use, before a code compliance certificate is issued. 

It specifically applies to ongoing construction work. You must have a certificate for public use if the public are to have access to all or parts of the building (either during construction or on completion) before a code compliance certificate is issued.

Anyone who owns, occupies or controls premises intended for public use may apply for a certificate for public use as per the NZ Building Act 2004 Section 362W.

Issuing a certificate for public use

Council will only issue a certificate for public use (Form 16) if we are satisfied that members of the public can use the premises safely. This is likely to involve an inspection.

We will take into account any safety precautions and plans that have been put in place. Certificates for public use do not relieve you, as owner of a building, from the obligation to apply for a code compliance certificate after all the building work has been carried out.

Once your application is completed, upload to Alpha One (required documents tab) and then phone the Council’s Building Inspections team 07 577 7334 for a Certificate for Public Use building inspection.

Last Reviewed: 16/09/2020

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand  |  Terms of use  |  Site map

Back To Top