You may need a building consent for work inside and around your property.
- general repair, maintenance and replacement
- constructing or replacing single-storey detached buildings
- repair and replacement of windows and doorways
- installing thermal insulation
- building a new carport
- building a retaining wall
- constructing a fence
- building a deck
- repair, maintenance and replacement of plumbing and drainage
- repair and maintenance of water heaters including hot water cylinders.
However, there are many situations in which these types of project are exempt. Find out if your project is automatically exempt using our building consent exemptions tool.
Apply for a building consent