× Search

COVID-19 information: Tauranga is currently at Alert Level 1. All our facilities and venues are open and services are operating as normal. Find out more.



You may need a building consent for work inside and around your property.

This includes:

  • general repair, maintenance and replacement 
  • constructing or replacing single-storey detached buildings
  • repair and replacement of windows and doorways
  • installing thermal insulation
  • building a new carport
  • building a retaining wall
  • constructing a fence
  • building a deck
  • repair, maintenance and replacement of plumbing and drainage
  • repair and maintenance of water heaters including hot water cylinders.

However, there are many situations in which these types of project are exempt. Find out if your project is automatically exempt using our building consent exemptions tool.

Apply for a building consent

Last Reviewed: 26/09/2019

Related links

Building code



Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand  |  Terms of use  |  Site map

Back To Top