If you need to demolish, remove or relocate a building you may require building or resource consents.
You require a building consent to:
- demolish or remove a building if it is attached to another building or is over three storeys in height (refer to exemptions under the Building Act - Schedule 1 if this applies to your situation)
- relocate a building to a new site.
You will also require resource consent to:
- relocate, demolish or partially demolish an item listed on Appendix 7A: Register of Built Heritage - chapter 7 of the City Plan
- demolish a building or structure within the CHEPA and Coastal Protection Plan Area - chapter 8 of the City Plan
- If the proposed demolition is going to require large-scale works and is likely to require multiple approvals, such as a resource consent or road closure, we recommend you order a PIM
- relocate within a flowpath/floodplain – chapter 8 of the City Plan
- relocate and for earthworks (above 10m3 and 300mm fill) within a floodplain, overland flowpath and a flood prone area – chapter 8 of the City Plan.
Last Reviewed: 13/01/2021