We can provide information about your responsibilities as a dog owner and help you understand the different types of dog behaviour.
Tauranga currently has over 13,000 registered dogs, that’s one dog for every ten people. As the city and dog numbers grow, dog owners need to become more aware of their dog’s behaviour and how it integrates with society.
The Dog Control Act 1996 and Council's Dog Management Bylaw 2018 (4mb pdf), requires dog owners to manage their dog’s behaviour responsibly.
This includes ensuring your dog:
- is kept under control at all times
- does not cause nuisance by loud and persistent barking
- does not injure, endanger, intimidate or distress any person, animal or wildlife
It is important that you, the dog owner, are vigilant at looking after your dog, and always ensure you:
- place your dog on a lead when approaching people or other animals
- clean up after your dog
- keep your dog securely fenced on your property.
Information for dog owners (339kb pdf)
Last Reviewed: 11/06/2020