× Search

Additional security measures

We are aware that some customers are having issues making payments online. This is due to Visa and Mastercard now enforcing two-factor authentication on all payments in order to increase security.

If you are having issues making an online payment, please contact your bank.

Do it online


Panoni i te rirohanga

Change of property ownership

A ratepayer is the person who is named in the property search and the district valuation roll as owning the property. This must be the name of the person or people on the certificate of title.

If you're a ratepayer it’s a legal requirement to inform us of any change of ownership. The information below shows what needs to happen if you have any changes to the ownership of your property.

Ownership of property changes due to sale or purchase

When a property changes ownership it is the responsibility of your solicitor to ensure that the 'Change of Ownership or Occupancy' form is completed and sent to Council within one month of the sale. Payment of the current year’s rates is your responsibility, even if you are entitled to reimbursement from the new owner. 

If you have recently subdivided your property, payment of the full year's rates for the original property is your responsibility. Your solicitor will calculate any reimbursement to you via the settlement.

When a property sells the liability for the payment of rates arrears transfers to the new owner. If you have recently purchased a property and arrears are shown on the rates notice, it's your responsibility to ensure these are paid immediately.

Change of name

If you are changing your name by marriage, deed poll, or reverting to your maiden name, email ratesadmin@tauranga.govt.nz and provide any of the following information:

  • a notice of change of ownership of matrimonial or joint family home
  • a copy of a marriage certificate
  • a copy of a marriage certificate endorsed with the divorce
  • your current passport or current driver’s licence
  • a deed poll certificate.

Transfer into the name of an executor and/or trustees

In the event of the death of an owner or for any other reason, notice of change of ownership confirming transfer to trust or new trustee should be sent to Council. A letter from the ratepayer's solicitor to advise that the property is in the name of a trust or a change of trustee is also acceptable.

If the property has a rate paying tenant

Notice of change of ownership assignment of lease should be sent to Council. A lessee can only become a ratepayer under certain conditions including a minimum lease period of ten years.

Exclusion of name due to domestic violence

Council will remove personal information from public registers when there is an order made under the Domestic Violence Act. Rates and valuation rolls will be altered to remove any reference to the owner and will be titled 'The Occupier'. The owner’s details will be stored in hard copy file.


Ratepayer names and address are displayed on the property search unless the customer has requested in writing for this to be withheld.

Application form

Related information

Property search

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand |Terms of use|Privacy statement|Site map

Back To Top