× Search

Additional security measures

We are aware that some customers are having issues making payments online. This is due to Visa and Mastercard now enforcing two-factor authentication on all payments in order to increase security.

If you are having issues making an online payment, please contact your bank.

Do it online


Ngā rēti, whakamatua, tinakutanga hoki ā Kaunihera

Council rates remissions and postponement

Council rates remissions are available for ratepayers that meet the criteria, and rates can be postponed in some circumstances.

Remission of Uniform Annual General Charge (UAGC)

Council may remit the additional UAGC for a separately used or inhabited part of a rating unit where a person is unable to fully utilise the unit’s facilities e.g. due to disability and/or age.

To apply, send us a written request declaring that the separate area is unable to be utilised independently by the person living there.

Remission of rates penalties

We will remit penalties on rates in some circumstances - see the full policy at the bottom of this page. In most cases we can set up agreed payment arrangements that will allow penalties to be remitted.

Apply by phone, email or in person.

Remissions for community and not-for-profit organisations

Council will consider various remissions for community and not-for-profit organisations that deliver social benefits to the community.

If your community or not-for-profit organisation was granted a remission for land rates last year, no need to reapply this year - you will receive the remission automatically. Otherwise use the form below to apply.

Remission of water rates

You may be eligible for a water rates remission if you’ve had a water leak. Please refer to Section 4.6 of our Remissions Policy to see if you qualify. If you do, fill in the form below and send it to us with the required attachments.

Remission of wastewater rates - commercial properties

We may partially remit wastewater rates for commercial ratepayers that choose to install more toilets than required. Use the Building Code calculator for toilet pans to see if you qualify, then send written evidence to Council by email or post.

Remission of wastewater rates - schools and early childhood centres

Council remits wastewater rates for not for profit early childhood centres, places of religious worship and Marae.

Remission of rates - Kiwifruit orchards with a licence to produce G3 gold kiwifruit

Council remits general and targeted rates that use the capital value of the orchard and the G3 licence. 100% of the additional capital value assessed as a consequence of including the value of the G3 licence in the 2022/2023 rating year, and 66% of the additional capital value in the 2023/2024 rating year, and 0% remission in the 2024/2025 rating year.

Remission and postponement of rates on Māori freehold land

Council will remit or postpone rates on Māori Freehold Land, land returned as commercial redress or as part of a Treaty settlement, or land that is not used for its highest and best use, to support development of the land into housing and other use for the benefit of the owners, and the whole community.

To apply send us a written request via post or email with details of the development or use.

Remission for natural disasters and emergencies

In the event of a natural disaster or other type of emergency affecting the capacity of one or more rating units to be used for an extended period of time, Council may remit all or part of any rate or charge where it considers it fair to do so. 

The process for this will be determined by Council after the occurrence of an event or emergency.

Remission for buildings undergoing earthquake strengthening in the CBD

Ratepayers of commercial properties in Tauranga city centre that are undergoing earthquake strengthening may apply for a remission on general rates. 

To apply, fill in the form below and send it to Council by 30 June. The remission will apply from the following rating year.

Rates remission for unliveable residential buildings undergoing remedial rebuilding

Ratepayers of residential properties that are undergoing rebuilding that affects one or more rating units’ capacity to be inhabited, used or otherwise occupied for an extended period of time, can apply for a rates remission. If approved, Council would assess the rates on the land as if it was a vacant rating unit. 

To apply, fill in the form below and send to Council by 30 June. The remission will apply from the following rating year. If the rebuilding work is over multiple rating years, applicants will need to reapply each year. 

Rates postponement for financial hardship

Ratepayers with at least 25% equity in their property, who are unable to access financial assistance from private sector financial institutions, and have applied for a rates rebate, may be able to postpone part of the rates. See the postponement policy at the bottom of the page for more details.

To apply, fill in the form below and send it back to council via email or post.

Rates postponement for rural land where value is influenced by non-rural use

We will consider postponing rates on rural land where the value is influenced by residential, commercial or other non-rural use. For more information, see the Rates Postponement Policy at the bottom of this page.

Contiguous rating

If you have two or more rating units that are owned by exactly the same owner/s, are contiguous (share a boundary) and are used jointly as a single unit, you may qualify for contiguous rating. This means that Council would treat them as if they were one single rating unit, for rating assessment purposes. This can have the effect of reducing the Uniform Annual General Charges and some targeted rates such as wastewater availability and the targeted regional transport rate. 

How: write to Council with your request and details of your contiguous rating.

Other exceptions

If you are in another situation that you think warrants a remission this may be considered by the Manager: Transaction Services. Write to Council with your request and details of your circumstances.

Address for applications

Post to: Tauranga City Council
Private Bag 12022, Tauranga 3143

In person to: Tauranga City Council Customer Service Centre
He Puna Manawa
21 Devonport Road
Tauranga 3143

Email: ratesadmin@tauranga.govt.nz

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand |Terms of use|Privacy statement|Site map

Back To Top