× Search

Additional security measures

We are aware that some customers are having issues making payments online. This is due to Visa and Mastercard now enforcing two-factor authentication on all payments in order to increase security.

If you are having issues making an online payment, please contact your bank.

Do it online


Monihoki ā-rēti mō te moni whiwhi iti

Rates rebate for low income

You may be eligible for a rates reduction as part of the Government's rate rebate scheme for low income earners.

A rates rebate is a reduction to annual rates for people that own a property.

The amount of the rebate depends on your income, how much you pay in rates, and the number of dependants you have.  Your income is based on the tax year ending 31 March and includes your spouse's income. You can make one application per household.

The maximum rebate is $750.

If you qualify for a rates rebate, this will be applied to your rates account. You must pay the remaining instalment balances by the due date. If you have paid your annual rates in full for the current rating year, you can request a refund of your rates rebate.

You can apply for a rates rebate at any time during the rating year you are applying for, but the rebate can’t be backdated for previous rating years.


Use the rates rebate calculator on the NZ Government website to see if you are eligible.

If you started receiving one of the following benefits before 31 March, you do not need to declare any other income that you received in that financial year.

  • Supported Living Payment or emergency benefit substitute
  • Sole Parent Support or emergency benefit substitute
  • Veterans Pension (NZ or reciprocal agreement with other countries)

This provision does not apply to the Job Seeker or NZ Superannuation benefits.

Retirement villages

Residents of retirement villages can also apply for a rates rebate. If you live in a retirement village, your village manager must complete and sign a declaration form.

Retirement village residents - declaration form

Deceased person

Estates of deceased persons may be granted rebates where the deceased person met the normal criteria but died within the current rating year.

The executor/administrator of the estate must be able to complete the application form's declaration, confirming that all the information is true and correct.

A copy of the probate (for an executor) or letter of administration (for an administrator) must be included with the application.

How to apply

You can apply for a rebate using the form below.

Rates Rebate Application Form 2023 - 2024

You will need to provide the following information:

  • information on your income (before tax) for the previous tax year (ending 31 March)
  • information on your partner’s/joint homeowner's income for the previous tax year if they lived with you on 1 July
  • applicants from retirement villages will also need to supply their declaration of contribution from their retirement village operator, and a personal bank account number. Once processed the rates rebate will be refunded directly into the applicant’s bank account.


Simply complete the rates rebate application, sign it and submit:

In person or need help?

  • Customer Service Center - 21 Devonport Road, Tauranga
  • The Hub, 9 Prince Avenue, Mount Maunganui – 09.30am - 4.30pm Daily
  • Papamoa Library – 9.30am-5pm, daily
  • Greerton Library – 9.30am-5pm, daily


Private Bag 12022, Tauranga 3143



Retirement villages

  • Please submit via your village reception.  You will need to include a declaration of contribution issued from your village operator and a bank account deposit slip or bank statement

Contact us

If you can’t find the answers to your questions on our website, you can email us on ratesrebate@tauranga.govt.nz

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand |Terms of use|Privacy statement|Site map

Back To Top