Please note that we have changed our parking and construction permit procedures.
From 1 November 2019 – Parking Space Permits are available for people working in the city who need to occupy parking spaces in the road reserve.
Parking Space Permits (PSP) cover all applications for the use of parking spaces in Tauranga City. Generally, spaces must be for one of the following purposes:
- Delivery (loading and/or unloading of plant and material). The delivery zone must be clearly defined for use as ‘a delivery zone’ and identifiable as a ‘permitted parking space.’
- Skip Bin (up to 5 days per month, not permanent). Must be fenced with safety fencing and road cones which have white retro-reflective tape or bands.
- Encroachment – where the construction zone encroaches onto the footpath or road; or where pedestrians are to be diverted into parking spaces.
- Road maintenance and Events – Corridor Access process to be followed.
In general, parking space permits are not available for promotional, advertorial or commercial purposes unless prior approval has been granted by Council. This approval requires an application to be submitted at least three weeks before the event.
Applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis under the following criteria:
- The parking space/s must be for one of the purposes outlined above.
- Need not want – meaning that all other options have been considered and there is no other practical way for the work to be undertaken without the use of a parking space/s.
- The number of parking spaces required and the use of each park is clearly defined – permits will not be issued to a specific vehicle registration number.
- The amount of time each parking space is required is clearly defined and reasonable.
- Details of how the parking space will be identified for its sole purpose must be provided with the application i.e. cones and cone bars, signage (and proposed wording), safety fencing, hoarding, scaffolding.
Payment of parks is determined by the parking space you will be occupying. If the space you will be occupying is a paid or time restricted parking space there will be a cost per day for each parking space; for more information about the costs, please visit our web page on parking fees. In some cases, there may not be a fee, this will be at the discretion of the Corridor Access team - to be determined as part of the review process. In order to obtain a parking space permit, the applicant must:
- Fill in a Parking Space Permit application form
Parking space application (114kb pdf)
- Determine the timeframe – There are two options for selecting how long you need a parking space:
- Short term occupation (5 days or less):
- If your application is successful, visit Council’s Service Centre at 91 Willow Street, Tauranga for a Parking Space Permit (PSP) to be issued.
- Payment is required before permit issuance if the parking spaces are in a paid parking or time restricted parking area. For more information visit our Parking fees page.
- A copy of the PSP with the application form must be held onsite when the site is active.
- Long term occupation (more than 5 days) – and part of CAR process:
- At the request of the applicant or Council a site visit may be required.
- The applicant must submit the approved Parking Space Permit application form through the Corridor Access Request (CAR) system.
Corridor Access Request (CAR) system
- A copy of the approved CAR including Work Access Permit (WAP) and application form must be held onsite at all times.
- The permit is reviewed on a monthly basis for the first three months then on an ‘as required’ basis at the discretion of the Corridor Access team.
- For Long Term PSPs there is the option to set up an account for pre-payment of the parking spaces, for up to one month in advance.
- At the end of each permit period, application for an extension must be made five days in advance of the expiry date to retain the parking space.
- Email the application to: Corridor.Access@tauranga.govt.nz. Please allow up to 5 days for processing.
- The permit documentation must be made available when requested by any Council staff member with identification.
When applying for the occupation of parking spaces you will need the following:
- Parking Space Permit application form
- Map highlighting the parking space/s being requested
- Payment method – either by EFTPOS, cash or account – with purchase order number as required by your own company practices, if applicable.
Other important information:
- Permits do not reserve permit holders a parking space. The permit holder is responsible for reserving the parking space and must have at least one of the following options: signs, road cones, cone-bars and/or approved safety fencing to mark the reserved area.
- If your application includes the removal of a mobility park, please allow six weeks for your application as a replacement mobility park will need to be installed nearby.
- An infringement notice may be issued if a permit is altered, photocopied or has expired.
Last Reviewed: 31/10/2019