× Search

Rēhitatanga i te pakihi kai

Registering a food business

Depending on the type and size of your food business, you will need a Food Control Plan or National Programme.

Anyone starting a new food business must register under the Food Act 2014 before they start selling food. 

You cannot operate a food business until you apply and register for a Food Control Plan or National Programme. If you buy or lease an existing business you can't use the existing plan, you need to register your own.

Before starting a food business, you also need to check if you need a resource consent, planning permission or a building consent. Council’s duty planner can help with this – give us a call on 07 577 7000 for information.

To find out which plan applies to your business see MPI’s Food Safety Rules

Food control plans

The two food control plans are:

  • a template food control plan - build your plan from templates supplied by Council or from the MPI website, complete the plan and then register the plan with Council
  • a custom food control plan - develop your own plan, then register the plan with MPI
Food control plan registration forms Online PDF Word
Food control plan factsheet - (178kb pdf) -
Apply for a new food control plan (single site) NB you will need customer number to access online    
Food control plan renewal (single site) online    
Multi-site business form for food control plan - (698kb pdf) -
Verification Information - (291kb pdf) -

National programmes

There are three levels of National programmes that are based on the food safety risk of a business:

  • Level 1 - lower risk
  • Level 2 - medium risk
  • Level 3 - higher risk

National programmes must be registered with Council, or with MPI if you operate in more than one local body’s area. National programme registrations are renewed every two years. More information on the MPI website

National programme registration forms Online PDF Word
National programme 1, 2 and 3 factsheet - (214kb pdf) -
Apply for a new national programme (single site) online    
National programme renewal (single site) online    
Multi-site business form for national programme - (1.1mb pdf) -
Verification agreement for businesses verified by TCC - (291kb pdf) -

Verification information


Under the Food Act 2014, some food businesses and community groups are not required to operate under a food control plan or a national programme. For example, you don't need a Food Control Plan or National Programme if you are:

  • selling food for fundraising less than 20 times a year. Fundraising activities include sausage sizzles, raffles and charity events
  • sharing food with others at sports clubs, social clubs or marae where food is not the purpose of the event. For example, providing nibbles at a bowling club games night or serving food at a tangi.

Contact Information

If you have further questions about registering your food business, please contact one of the Environmental health officers on 07 577 7000 or email eho@tauranga.govt.nz.

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand |Terms of use|Privacy statement|Site map

Back To Top