If you have a great community event in mind and need some financial support to realise your idea, our community event fund may be able to assist.
The fund provides limited financial support to one-off or recurring community-focused and/or community-led events that deliver positive social outcomes for our diverse community and encourage civic pride.
The events we fund must
- provide free or low cost (i.e. $10 or under) admission to the public
- genuinely focus on engaging local communities and neighbourhoods, encourage participation across diverse communities and/or be community-led
- be run by a community organisation. A community organisation is a legally constituted not-for-profit community group (charitable trust or incorporated society). The applicant group must have a Trust Deed or Constitution and have been operating for a minimum of 12 months
- align with our event funding values and priorities. We suggest that you review these before submitting an application as all events will be measured against these overarching principles.
Key fund information
The maximum grant is $4,000 +GST however the majority of grants are $2,500 +GST per event.
Due to a recent budget reduction, the Community Event Fund has limited budget available for events occurring up to 30 June 2021.
$30,000 +GST for events occurring between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021. When the fund allocation is exhausted we will update this webpage.
Please note that portions of these funds may be redistributed between the four funds from time to time, to manage current and/or future event investment demands.
Applications will be considered on a bimonthly basis (i.e. every two months) until the funds are exhausted. Please follow the funding round timeline below:
|Applications recieved by
||Decisions released by
Events can apply for funding up to 12 months out from their event date. Only in exceptional circumstances will the panel consider funding an event more than 12 months in advance.
Recurring events can apply for a maximum of three years consecutive funding with a sinking lid policy. The formula below is applied even if you only apply year by year rather than once.
- Year 1 – maximum support as per funding decision (e.g. annual event year 1: $3,500 +GST)
- Year 2 – eligible for maximum of 75% of year one funding (e.g. annual event year 2: $2,625 +GST)
- Year 3 – eligible for maximum of 50% of year one funding (e.g. annual event year 3: $1,750 +GST)
If a three-year grant was approved for a biennial event, they would receive full funding in year one and 75% in year three before the term of the funding agreement concludes.
At the end of the funding term an equivalent stand-down period will apply before you can submit another funding application. For example, a three-year funding agreement followed by three years not eligible to apply.
No, you don’t need to provide quotes with your application, however you will need to provide a high-level budget which you’ll upload as a secondary document. You will also need to provide evidence of your charitable trust or incorporated society status.
A decision-making panel of three City Events officers at Tauranga City Council.
If your application is successful, we will email you to confirm your grant. If your event is held on public open space, you will also likely be required to work with our event facilitation team for an event approval. Read our resources to assist you with running an event on public open spaces.
If your application is unsuccessful you will be advised of the outcome, along with reasoning why this decision was made.
In the financial year that the event occurs, our year runs from 1 July through to 30 June the following year. 50% of the funding granted will be released prior to the event and 50% after submitting a post-event evaluation report (to the satisfaction of Event Development staff).
If you have already received funding from us for an event, you must submit a post-event evaluation report (to the satisfaction of Event Development staff) before another application will be considered.
Last Reviewed: 27/11/2020