The Kaupapa Māori Legacy Event Fund supports recurring events that celebrate Māoritanga (Māori culture) in Tauranga Moana.
The fund is a joint initiative, administered by Tauranga City Council on behalf of TECT, BayTrust and Council.
The fund is committed to supporting recurring events that:
- celebrate Tauranga Moana tangata whenua
- promote and share tikanga Māori
- raise awareness of events of historical and/or cultural significance to Tauranga Moana.
If you have an event that you think may qualify for funding, we encourage you to send an email to Te Pou Takawaenga at email@example.com to discuss your application.
Your event may be eligible for funding through our Tauranga Western Bay Community Event Fund, so make sure you check out this fund too.
The events we fund must:
- be driven by, or partnered with iwi and/or hapū in the Tauranga City Council boundaries
- be run by a not-for-profit organisation
- have been operating for at least one year in Tauranga Moana before the application is submitted
- deliver tangible community and tangata whenua benefits
- strongly align with our event funding values (our funding decisions are heavily weighted towards these principles)
- must include a written endorsement in support of and outlining involvement in the event from the current chairperson or senior executive (i.e., chief executive, general manager) of the iwi, hapū or marae.
- you must submit a high-level event budget
- events that have free or low-cost admission to the public are more likely to receive funding support
- events that are predominantly commercial in nature are less likely to receive support
- events and/or organisations that already receive substantial ongoing support from Tauranga City Council, financial or otherwise, are less likely to receive support from the Kaupapa Māori Legacy Event Fund.
We don’t fund events that: