The future of events in Tauranga
The Tauranga Events Action and Investment Plan is the first of its kind in Tauranga, establishing a clear direction on what we want to achieve for events in the city, and the priorities and actions that will help us get there.
The plan has a strong focus on partnerships and collaboration, and recognises the role of Tauranga City Council, Bay Venues, Tourism Bay of Plenty and Priority One in events, and the importance of an ongoing partnership with tangata whenua to bring cultural events and experience to the forefront of what we do.
Tauranga Events Action and Investment Plan (2.2mb pdf)
The six goals
- Develop a strategic and collaborative approach to priorities and investment in major events and business events.
- Support the development and sustainability of the events industry in Tauranga.
- Support events that reflect and celebrate our people and our places.
- Improve the promotion and marketing of events to both local and national audiences.
- Become the best host city in Aotearoa.
- Plan for and developing a fit-for-purpose event venues and infrastructure.
Who was involved?
The plan is a collaboration with Bay Venues, Tourism Bay of Plenty and Priority One. It responds to feedback from tangata whenua, the events industry, and the Tauranga community on what they would like to see happen in the events space.
Summary of the community feedback (4.12mb pdf)
What impact will it have?
It will allow council, with the help of our partners, to make the most of opportunities, maximise the benefits of events to the city, while responding to some of the challenges we have experienced over the years.
It has provided the ability to be aspirational, it signals our intent to be the best host city in Aotearoa where we will establish a hosting standard reflective of our people and our places that is not seen anywhere else in the country.