× Search

Additional security measures

We are aware that some customers are having issues making payments online. This is due to Visa and Mastercard now enforcing two-factor authentication on all payments in order to increase security.

If you are having issues making an online payment, please contact your bank.

Do it online



Wastewater connections and disposal

Council is legally required to provide and maintain an effective wastewater system. This includes the network of pipes and treatment plants that all wastewater must pass through before it’s discharged into the ocean.

I want to connect to the wastewater network

Council’s responsibility

We look after wastewater pipes located beneath footpaths, roads or on council-owned properties. We must fix any damage such as cracks or breaks in the pipes.

Wastewater pipes have an average life expectancy of at least 90 years. We use closed circuit television (CCTV) monitoring to regularly check the condition of our city’s pipes and maintain or replace them when necessary.

Property owner’s responsibility

Any damage or blockage that occurs to wastewater pipes inside your property boundary is the owner’s responsibility to fix. This includes, but not limited to, damage from tree roots, third party damage, fats and wipes (blockages) and DIY damage. Landowners are responsible for the private sewer lateral to the point of discharge at the sewer main - this includes any blockages in this section.

Gully traps

A gully trap is a small outdoor drain found beside your home’s foundations near your kitchen, bathroom or laundry. It’s where all your wastewater is piped to before it empties into our wastewater network.

Gully traps should be raised above the ground to stop stormwater or ground surface water from draining into them. They usually have a grate or cover to keep out leaves and other debris.

If rainwater can enter your gully traps, they need to be fixed. A sudden increase in water flowing into gully traps during heavy rain can cause wastewater to overflow and problems at our treatment plants. That’s why the Building Code outlines strict criteria for gully traps to prevent this from occurring.

It is the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure your gully traps are working properly.

Everything you need to know about gully traps factsheet (721kb pdf)

Note: pipelines on private properties often have a council easement which grants council legal access to those pipes if necessary.

Example image of a house gully trap

House gully trap

Example image of an illegal gully trap

Illegal gully trap allowing rainwater to enter

Example image of a small stormwater drain

Small stormwater drain (not to be confused with a gully trap)

Wastewater connections for Omokoroa and Matapihi

Most properties and suburbs in Tauranga connect directly to our wastewater network which is funded by general rates. However, there are some exceptions.

Omokoroa is in the Western Bay of Plenty district but connects to Tauranga’s wastewater treatment network. Wastewater treatment is charged on a volumetric basis to these homes. The current charge (as of 1 July 2023) is $2.46/m³.

Some Matapihi properties are connected via an underground pump system to our city’s wastewater network. This includes two local marae, the kura and kohanga reo plus residential properties near both marae.

For more information about how these pumps work, and answers to frequently asked questions, please download the following brochure:

Matapihi wastewater brochure (1.1mb pdf)

Wastewater disposal for caravans/mobile homes

Wastewater from caravans and mobile homes can be disposed of at these locations:

  • Z Service Station, Hewletts Road
  • 61 Maleme Street, near the transfer station
  • 39 Keith Allen Drive Tauranga (at the Marine Park/Sulphur Point boat ramp). 

Trade waste

Trade waste is any liquid waste that is discharged to Tauranga City Council’s wastewater system from industrial or business premises.

This includes any waste water derived from a production process, washing down or cooling practices.

It is a criminal offence to discharge trade waste without a consent.

Learn more about trade waste and how to apply for a consent

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand |Terms of use|Privacy statement|Site map

Back To Top