× Search

Additional security measures

We are aware that some customers are having issues making payments online. This is due to Visa and Mastercard now enforcing two-factor authentication on all payments in order to increase security.

If you are having issues making an online payment, please contact your bank.

Do it online


Water leak information

Your water meter measures how much water you are using, and can be used to check if you have a water leak on your property.

Water meters are located in a box in the ground near your front boundary. There is a small disc in the middle of your water meter that spins around when water flows through your meter. If it’s spinning when all your taps are turned off, you may have a leak.

Homeowners are responsible for all water pipes that are on the property’s side of the water meter (even if the meter is outside your boundary). You will need to hire a plumber to find and fix any leak for you. If you need some help reading your meeting or identifying where a leak may be, book a visit from our Waterline Advisor:

Book a visit from our Waterline Advisor

Council is responsible for the water pipes that lead up to your water meter, including the meter itself. If a leak is council’s responsibility or your water meter is faulty, give us a call on 07 577 7000. We are available 24/7, even on public holidays so please contact us.

We aim to respond to high priority jobs (e.g. no water or major damage) within eight hours and smaller jobs (e.g. small leaks, low pressure) within 72 hours. Repairs will be carried out as soon as practical. If we need to shut down the water supply to complete a repair, we will let affected homeowners and businesses know in advance whenever possible.

If you share a driveway or live in a block of flats, there will likely be a primary water meter at the roadside boundary (measuring all the water entering the property) and then additional meters for each dwelling. Council is responsible for all of the meters but property owners are responsible for the pipes that connect these meters. If a leak is discovered, it is up to the property owners to resolve it and pay for repairs to these private pipes.

If you’ve had a water leak, you may be eligible for a water rates refund/remission. You can apply for a refund using the form below:

Water rates remission form (45kb pdf)

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand |Terms of use|Privacy statement|Site map

Back To Top