Building consent and code compliance certificate applications can now be submitted online.
Our building consents online system allows you to submit, manage and track applications for both consents and code compliance certificate, from anywhere, at any time.
Apply for a building consent
Before submitting an application, it is best to verify details of the property.
You can also see if your project requires a building consent, and view the property information map to show any features like natural hazards slopes, and stormwater/wastewater assets.
Before you begin
These few simple preparation checks will ensure you can quickly and easily submit your application:
- know the owner as listed on the certificate of title
- required documents need to be PDF format files that do not exceed 1G in size
- ensure these have OCR and bookmarking. More information
- prepare a succinct, accurate description for your project (e.g. ‘new single storey three-bedroom dwelling’).
Submit the application
- The owner can submit the application and link other people to the building project (e.g. subcontractors).
- An agent can lodge the application on behalf of the owner (and may choose to link the owner or manage the process completely on their behalf).
- The applicant is responsible for identifying which portions of the Building Code the project will comply with.
- Until 1 July 2017 no lodgment fees will be applied; however, from this date an electronic lodgment fee will come into effect.
- The applicant will receive an email confirming that the application has been submitted.
You can choose the property you need to consent using our property selection tool. The tool is especially handy in recent subdivisions. It also:
- Enables accurate identification of the property the building consent applies to, via selection of an address and/or selection from Google Maps
- Displays Council parcel data
- Enables you to select the relevant parcel(s) for an address
- Ensures upload of a valid certificate of title for each parcel
- Provides a “building over boundary” indicator
Manage required documents
- Upload files to the correct folder (e.g. certificate of title into the certificate of title folder).
- Upload easement docs under certificate of title.
- Council does accept A1 plans. We can accept anything as long as it’s electronic and the file size is under 1GB.
- Lodged plans are required. If these are not included, the application will fail vetting.
- When submitting an RFI be sure to send the revised drawings only (i.e those that relate specifically to proposed response).
- A copy of the building consent and approved plans must be held on site at all times. This is the applicant’s responsibility.
Manage the application
- With the introduction of online building consents, we migrated all historical consent information from our old system to the new. This migrated data is linked to your AlphaOne account if you have used the same email address for AlphaOne as you did when you first applied to the consent. If this information was incorrect originally or has changed since the consent application was submitted, you will not see the application in your dashboard. Call us and we will arrange for it to be put right.
- All consents linked to the applicant are available to be viewed via the My Applications tab. Use the key to identify progress.
- All correspondence regarding your application will be electronic – including issuing your invoice and consent.
- Once payment is receipted and processed, Council emails the applicant to let them know their document is available to download directly from their portal.
- Once approved, your consent will be issued on receipt and processing of payment. Please be aware that some banks will take one or more business days to complete the payment and therefore Council will see the funds up to 48 hours later. Therefore, please expect to be able to access your documents after this time.
- Amendments are discouraged, but may be applied for on existing consents via the online consent system. Amendments can only be submitted after the consent is issued, and they are invoiced after processing of the amendment is completed.
- All communications should go to the project email address, e.g. email@example.com (where 170039 in this example is the building consent number).
Link others to the application
- Log in and scroll down until you see My Applications
- Select Action Button, at the end of the correct application
- Click on drop down arrow and select Invite User
- Enter email address
- Click send invite
- The person being sent this invite will receive an email from the applicant saying they have been invited to view this information
- Simply click on the link and register
- Once registered, the information above will appear on both the applicant’s account and the invited person
Last Reviewed: 23/10/2020