× Search

Building on Māori land

Development Contributions increases

Development Contributions are a charge on developments that helps pay for the infrastructure that services this growth (e.g. wastewater pipes, roads, reserves, treatment plants – and soon community facilities like pools and libraries). The charge is usually included in building consent invoices.

This charge will increase by $8849 for any building consents lodged on or after 1 February 2022. Further increases, estimated at up to $16,000, are likely from 1 July 2022.

Find out more about the increases

If you are planning to build on Māori land there are several things you need to consider.

Do you need resource consent?

Your building may need resource consent depending on the type of development and land zoning. The Tauranga City Plan sets out the rules for land use and subdivision activities in Tauranga. Contact Council’s duty planner at the start of your project to find out whether you need resource consent.

Building consent

You will need a building consent for your building. If you also need resource consent you can apply for your building consent at the same time so they can be processed together.

Do you have evidence of the right to build on the land?

For the building consent you will need to provide us with information about your site to be able to build on Māori land. You also need to provide either a licence to occupy (given by the trustees), an occupation order or a Hapu Partition (issued by the Māori Land Court).

Development contributions

If you receive approval to build you will be required to pay development contributions and financial contributions when your building consent is issued. These are contributions towards the cost to Council of building infrastructure to accommodate growth within Tauranga City.

Papakainga toolkit

The toolkit for Papakainga development, Te Keteparaha mo nga Papakainga, also has information on the Māori Land Court processes that you may find helpful. The toolkit is available from Council’s customer service centre or you can view it on the Western Bay of Plenty District Council website

Te-Keteparaha-Mo-Nga-Papakainga -  Māori Housing Toolkit

Last Reviewed: 10/12/2021

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand |Terms of use|Privacy statement|Site map

Back To Top