In 2017, Tauranga City Council supported the Local Government Leaders’ Climate Change Declaration.
Local Government Leaders' Climate Change Declaration
The commitments the councils agreed to are:
- Develop and implement ambitious action plans that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and support resilience within our own councils and for our local communities. These plans will:
- promote walking, cycling, public transport and other low carbon transport options;
- work to improve the resource efficiency and health of homes, businesses and infrastructure in our district; and
- support the use of renewable energy and uptake of electric vehicles.
- Work with our communities to understand, prepare for and respond to the physical impacts of climate change.
- Work with central government to deliver on national emission reduction targets and support resilience within our communities.
The guiding principles to the Declaration include:
- Anticipation (thinking and acting long-term)
The development of the Tauranga Climate Plan will ensure that we are working towards achieving these commitments.