The draft Development Contributions Policy is now out for consultation. Consultation closes Tuesday, 26 April 2022.
Tauranga City Council is proposing to adopt a new Development Contributions Policy.
We review the Development Contributions Policy every year. This is to ensure that the policy aligns with funding decisions made by the Council when it reviews its annual/long-term plan.
Tauranga City Council uses development contributions to fund growth-related capital expenditure, like new or expanded infrastructure for waters, transport or reserves; and from July 2022, for community facilities like pools and libraries. Development contributions are payable when people develop – e.g. if they subdivide a property, build or alter a residential or non-residential building, or change the use of an existing building.
We want to hear your views on the content of the proposed policy.
Find out more about development contributions
Key proposed changes to the policy
- A 15% increase in citywide development contributions for residential developments, which would bring the fee for a three-bedroom house from $28,557 to $32,754. Council has updated the facilities which are funded under the community infrastructure category. The proposal is to stop collecting for Baywave Pool and Baypark Arena and to start collecting contributions towards the Memorial Aquatic facility, the City Centre library, and the indoor court facilities to be developed at the Memorial Hall site. Note that these increases assume we will receive external funding for these projects.
- Updates to local development contribution charges:
- A 4.4% increase for the Pyes Pa West catchment, to fund two neighbourhood reserves
- A 6% increase for the West Bethlehem catchment, to compensate for the yearly reduction in subsidies applied to the area.
- Minor changes to the rules contained in Section 2 which specify when development contribution fees will be charged.
You can read about the proposed changes in the statement of proposal, and in the full draft 2022-23 Development Contributions Policy, both below. The new fees would apply to any consents lodged on or after 1 July 2022.
Statement of proposal: draft 2022-23 Development Contributions Policy (139kb pdf)
Access the full draft 2022-23 Development Contributions Policy (12mb pdf)
Have your say
Survey closed at 5pm Tuesday 26 April 2022. Thanks for sharing your feedback.
If you’d like to speak to someone about development contributions or the proposed changes and their impact, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the team on 07 577 7000.