× Search

About development contributions

Draft 2021/22 Development Contributions Policy

Alongside the Long-Term Plan, we are consulting on our draft 2021/22 Development Contributions Policy. This policy sets out how we share the costs of growth between the development sector and the general ratepayer.

We want to hear your views on the proposed 2021/22 policy.

Find out more on the proposed 2021/22 policy

Development contributions help council fund the new or improved infrastructure required as a result of growth – like water and wastewater networks, roads, playgrounds and community facilities like Baywave.

Development contributions are fees payable to council when you develop. For example, a development contribution may be payable if you:

  • subdivide a property
  • build, alter or expand a residential or non-residential building
  • change the use of an existing building
  • relocate a building to a new site 
  • connect to council’s water and/or wastewater networks.

Tauranga City Council uses two types of development contributions:

  1. local development contributions fund the infrastructure that services the area/catchment in which the development is taking place, like small pipes and neighbourhood playgrounds and
  2. citywide development contributions which go towards infrastructure that services the entire city, like a wastewater treatment plant. 

Estimate your development contributions

This tool will help you understand the amount and type of development contribution fees required for your development. It gives you an indication of the contribution charges that may apply under the operative Development Contributions Policy.

The tool is purely for your convenience and is not a formal estimate from council. Your final charge may vary slightly from the charges shown in the tool due to rounding. This estimate will be based on information available at the feasibility stage of your development. No information from your estimate is retained by council.

Estimate your development contributions

Development contributions (DCs) may be required for both residential and non-residential development, if the development creates a demand for council-provided infrastructure.

If you want to know if you may need to pay a development contribution on your project, and get an estimate for the amount, contact us on developmentcontributions@tauranga.govt.nz.

The most common types of development which trigger payment of a DC are:

  • subdividing a property
  • building a new residential building
  • building a new non-residential building.

But there are many other developments that will trigger payment of a DC. Here are some examples of less obvious development types that would fall in that category (this is a non-exhaustive list).

More than one house on an allotment

If you build more than one house on an allotment, you will pay citywide development contributions for each dwelling, and a local development contribution. Both fees will be charged on your building consent if it has not already been paid prior.

The same principle applies if you build a second house on an allotment that already contains one dwelling. You will need to pay both a citywide and a local development contribution for the new household, if no subdivision has occurred.

Houses with two living areas, additional offices or granny flats

If a dwelling is built or altered to create more than one living area, additional fees may apply. Some examples include:

  • adding a new kitchen or bathroom facilities so that the house can now be used as two households
  • installing fire rating in an existing house so that it can be safely used as two independent homes
  • building a granny flat or sleep-out or other additional spaces. Especially if these spaces have separate bathroom and/or kitchen facilities
  • adding more bedrooms to dwellings
  • changing the primary use of a building (e.g. residential to commercial or vice versa).
Connecting a new or existing building to council’s water/wastewater network

If you have an existing property that was not connected to council’s reticulated networks, you can ask council for permission to connect (provided the services are available). If the application is approved, it may trigger the requirement to pay development contributions.

Relocating buildings

If you move an existing building to a new site in Tauranga, this may trigger the requirement to pay development contributions. For example, if the house was pre-built off-site, DCs would not have been paid prior, and may need to be paid when you relocate it.

Certificate of acceptance

If you complete development work without the correct consent and later apply for a certificate of acceptance, this may trigger the requirement to pay development contributions.

Apartment buildings

Apartment buildings are assessed as a residential activity. Each apartment will be charged a citywide fee and a local fee. Although apartments may be in one and the same building, the demand their occupants place on council infrastructure (e.g. pipes, roads, playgrounds) amounts to the same as if they were living in multiple houses/buildings instead.

Caravans and tiny homes

If a caravan or tiny home is being used for residential purposes and is not considered a temporary structure or is connecting to council services, it may trigger the requirement to pay development contributions.

Change of primary use of building

If you change the use of a building i.e. from residential to commercial or vice versa, this may trigger the requirement to pay development contributions. DCs are calculated differently for commercial buildings compared to residential. A credit for the previous activity will be applied to the site and offset against the fees for the new activity.

Note: credits for buildings removed

When a building has been removed or demolished, a credit will apply to the site and the amount will be offset against any future development of the site.

Tauranga City Council charges two types of development contributions (DCs): local DCs and citywide DCs. Most developments will pay both fees, but they will often be charged at different stages of the development.

Local development contributions fund the infrastructure that services the area/catchment in which the development is taking place. For example, the smaller water pipes in your local suburb or the local neighbourhood playgrounds. As a result, the fees vary depending on the location of the development. Local DCs are higher in the newer growth areas as much more infrastructure needs to be built before development can happen. This fee is usually payable on a resource consent for subdivision or land use – but may also be charged on a building consent and service connection if it has not been charged prior.

Citywide development contributions pay for the large infrastructure networks that service the entire city, like wastewater treatment plants and large trunk mains. Citywide fees vary depending on the type of development but not with the location. The fee is usually payable on building consents or service connections – but may also be charged on a resource consent for land use.

The amount of development contributions you’ll need to pay will depend on the type of development you are undertaking, and its location.

Our development contribution tool can give you an indication of the contribution charges that may apply under the operative Development Contributions Policy.

Estimate your development contributions

The fees are set out in the development contributions policy of the financial year (1 July to 30 June) that the work was consented. The policy is reviewed annually.

Access the latest policies

Below are examples of fees for common types of developments. Local contributions are most often paid as part of your resource consent for subdivision or land use, and citywide contributions are most often included in your building consent or service connection fee.

Local development contribution fees change from one urban growth area to the next, depending on the local infrastructure in place and how long DCs have been collected for that area. See map of urban growth areas here (page 4). When a development is located outside of these urban growth areas, local development contributions may apply based on the location of development and infrastructure projects surrounding that location. If you are developing outside urban growth areas, please contact us for an estimate.

Citywide development contributions $ (including GST) per residential household
House with 3 or more bedrooms $12,208.25
House with 2 bedrooms $7,935.36
House with 1 bedroom $6,104.13
Note: If you are building more than one house (or building an allotment that already contains at least one house) then you may also need to pay local DC’s as specified below.
Local development contributions $ (including GST) per additional residential allotment created or per additional household on an allotment in the following urban growth areas:
Bethlehem $14,433.13
Ohauiti $12,862.80
Papamoa $10,037.99
Pyes Pa $7,818.14
Pyes Pa West $34,467.74
Tauranga Infill Area $4,156.10
Welcome Bay $9,772.90
Please contact the development contributions team if you’re planning to subdivide in the following urban growth areas (charged on site area):
West Bethlehem  

Get in touch with the development contributions team at developmentcontributions@tauranga.govt.nz or 07 577 7000 to find out about fees payable for other types of developments, or outside of the urban growth areas listed above.

Put simply, the contributions are calculated by dividing the cost of growth-related capital expenditure in a specified area by the amount of growth anticipated in that area or across the whole city for citywide growth infrastructure (e.g. wastewater plant capacity upgrades). Contributions will vary depending on the development contributions policy applicable to the development.

Our development contribution tool can give you an indication of the contribution charges that may apply under the operative Development Contributions Policy.

Estimate your development contributions

Development contributions are used to help fund new or expanded growth-related infrastructure and may only be used to fund the infrastructure for which they were taken. This may be planned growth infrastructure (not built yet) or existing infrastructure still providing capacity for Tauranga’s growth.

The contribution is a one-off charge. The subsequent operation and maintenance of the infrastructure is covered by council through rates and other charges.

Development contributions collected for non-residential development can be used to fund infrastructure for water, wastewater, stormwater and roads. Development contributions collected for residential development can be used for the same, and also for reserves and community infrastructure.

The following are some examples of new or expanded infrastructure that council could collect development contributions for.

  Local development contributions Citywide development contributions
Water Non-trunk water pipes Trunk mains, reservoirs, treatment plants
Wastewater Local pipes, pump stations, trunk mains, storage Treatment plants, ocean outfalls
Stormwater Ponds, pipes, floodways, channels and associated land purchases for stormwater, roading-associated stormwater Not applicable
Transport Local roads, walkways and cycleways and associated land purchases Intersection upgrades and road widening of strategic arterial roads
Reserves Land purchases and development of local reserves (playgrounds, footpaths, landscaping etc.) Purchase and development of active reserves (sportsfields) and sub-regional parks (e.g. TECT All Terrain Park)
Community infrastructure Not applicable Pools, arenas (e.g. Baywave, ASB Arena)

In accordance with 199A of the Local Government Act 2002, Tauranga City Council has processes in place should a person request that council reconsider the requirement for them to pay a development contribution, object to paying a development contribution or request a deferral/postponement on the payment of a development contribution fee.

You can find further information in Section 2 of the current development contributions policy. If you would like further information or to challenge a development contribution charge, please contact us at developmentcontributions@tauranga.govt.nz or 07 577 7000.

Last Reviewed: 07/05/2021

Want to discuss further?

For more information, email developmentcontributions@tauranga.govt.nz or call the Development contributions team on 07 577 7000.

Tauranga City Council, Private Bag 12022, Tauranga, 3143, New Zealand |Terms of use|Privacy statement|Site map

Back To Top